Monday, September 21, 2009

Peaches and the Fire Department

Last weekend Chris and I canned peaches! This year was so much better than last. The peaches were cheaper, we had less mess, we got more quarts and they just look so much better. We were very proud. However, this lovely canning event has a story to go with it. It was about 11 at night, we just put the last batch of peaches in the canner and were cleaning up when my carbon monoxide detector goes off! I didn't know what to do, it's never gone off before so after a couple of minutes discussing with Steve about what we should do ( the detector says to call 911 but we still had to discuss what to do) I call 911. We're told to go outside and wait for the fire department. So I wake up my babe and we wait. Sure enough their was CO throughout the whole house. The fire department was here for about 1/2 hour until the levels went back down. They think it was because we had all 4 burners on the gas stove going for 5 hours on high with no windows open because I had the AC on which help to circulate the CO throughout the house. I finally got Makenna back to sleep around 1 but didn't really sleep that well because I was still worried and we had to have all the windows open so it was noisy. Anyways the moral of this story is 1- Make sure you have carbon monoxide detectors and 2- Keep the windows open while canning!

5 comments:

Mike said...

oh my gosh Wendy, well I guess we all learn our lessons in life the hard way. Good luck. We love you! Nikki

Seth and Kara Farnsworth said...

Wow, I am so glad that you had a detector. I'm going to say that I'll learn from you and I just will skip canning. Really, I am lazy and cheap (produce is pricey here in the city). Glad everything turned out ok.

Melanie Henage said...

Wow! That is an awesome story! I've never heard of a CO detector saving someone's life. I always hear you're supposed to have one. Glad your family's okay

Tyrone said...

I really prefer to freeze most everything I have just to make it easier! Maybe you could try that! J/K Hahaha! Good to hear everyones doing well!

Christine said...

Yes certainly an interesting night we had, huh? No dramas with our applesauce at least! :)